THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Marquee

My Solstice

It is no secret that I am a fan of My Solstice. This fact brought me to The Marquee last Friday night. There is so much more I could say for these boys and their exceptional ability to own the stage and never disappoint however my friends tell me if I don’t expand my writing focus I am well on my way to becoming some kind of groupie. That being said, what do you think of when I say the word violin? Likely up-and-coming local rock band was not the first thing to come to your mind.

Driveby Sonata

I was first introduced to Driveby Sonata thanks to their spot on the 2009 Edge Homegrown CD. Due to a ridiculously idiotic mindset I surprised myself in liking what I was hearing. I must regretfully confess to you my habitual tendency to write off female artist without giving them their proper due. In fact Paramore is the first female fronted rock/alternative group I not only allowed myself to listen to but was also willing to admit I like. The foolishness of this point of view is increasingly evident to me after Driveby Sonata’s Friday night performance and Jocelyn Rowland Hughes’ ability to capture my senses with her smoothly melodic vocals.

It is my understanding the only way to experience Driveby Sonata for yourself is via a live performance or your own copy of the 2009 Edge Homegrown CD but that is soon to change. When their CD is released I assure you, you will hear about it so stay tuned.

My Final Thought

My only disappointment came in the realization that Arkansas has spectacular music too. It is my intention to keep this blog local to the Okies but as a music lover I do not believe I can post without giving at least a mention of A Good Fight. Make it to a show, buy their CD or do a Google search it doesn’t matter to me but not giving them a listen would be very unwise on your part. As mentioned I am keeping this blog local but I bought their CD and the only complaint I have is that it doesn’t come with a lyric sheet.

0 comments: