THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, August 14, 2009

Imzadi

For me one of the most alluring things about local music is the ambiguity in not knowing exactly what you’re going to hear when you get there. There have been times when this has proved to be a less than pleasant surprise, other times when the band is just so great you secretly wonder if there is a recording playing somewhere and then there are those times you just can’t make up your mind.

Last Friday night I could be found at C.J. Maloney’s where Imzadi performed. Having not been too familiar with them myself, a lady across the bar assured me that the band was so good when she has the opportunity to go out she looks to see when and where they will be playing. Having heard just enough of their music to get us there her delight was reassuring.

As the music started, my eyes turned quickly to the stage and my ears focused on the music my (now perplexed) brain began to sort through the likes and dislikes of what it was hearing. Over the last week I have thought a lot about what exactly I would say about my final conclusion, and what I have come to is this:

Imzadi seemingly puts generous effort into making sure they play a variety to please the masses. Honesty requires me to admit “I can’t believe a white guy is singing that song” is likely to cross your mind at least once but after that initial shock is over, just allow yourself to join the others on the dance floor or sit back and drink your beer because if you can do that it is worth the cover charge.

0 comments: