THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I saw My Solstice at Dfest


How do you measure greatness? To some it is defined by the label an artist signs with, the number of households that know their name, or maybe even dollars in the bank. To me, these are merely lucky bonuses for those who are already great. A more appropriate gauge would be your adrenaline level when you leave the show, how badly you want yet another encore, and how quickly you put in that CD--as if it had been forever since you heard those songs. These are among the reasons I know My Solstice is great.

I have limited interests: I like photography, music, and talking about music. I sit now writing this, thinking how thankful I would be if just one person, outside my circle, read this and thought as little as “it wasn’t so bad.” It is thoughts such as this that make me appreciate My Solstice even more. I genuinely feel they have the same gratitude toward each person who takes the time to come see them. I was able to catch them at DFEST last weekend, and I reached this conclusion based not only on a simple thank you for being here, but also their acknowledgement of the fact there were still headliners playing, and yet that is where we chose to be. Not once did I feel they were playing for an inconsequential audience. No, each song was played for me, for her, and for him; each of us individuals with one common interest, and each of us as happy to be there as they were to have us.

They played some of everything, including yet-to-be-released material. Then, when we were about to leave, they were easily swayed in to an encore. As we walked to the car, with more energy than when we went in, I immediately checked online for future appearances; but with the next ones not until August, I was forced to settle for the recorded version waiting in my car.


0 comments: